Household Hazardous Waste, Paint, Flourescent Bulbs and Safe Sharps Disposal

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Dealing with Hazardous Wastes and Sharps In Your Home

Landfill Logo


The Boone County Landfill has partnered with Metro Waste Authority in Des Moines to
provide an extensive program for hazardous waste. Metro Waste Authority  operates a Regional Collection Center (RCC) in Bondurant, Iowa.

Household Hazardous Waste: There are three different options available to residents
seeking to properly dispose of the household hazardous waste (oil- and lead-based paints, oils, pesticides and solvents).  They include:

Clean-Up Crew Events: These are mobile collection events held throughout the warmer
months of the year. Residents can bring paints (no latex), pesticides, solvents and cleaners free-of charge to these events. The schedule of events is posted on the Landfill’s Upcoming Events Page  or you can call 515.433.0591

Satellite Facility: The Boone County Landfill operates a satellite collection center for household hazardous waste. This program is available to people moving out or into a home as well as for estate clean-outs. This program is operated on an appointment only basis. For more information please call the Landfill at 515.433.0591. Click here a fact sheet on what is, and is not accepted at the satellite facility.

Regional Collection Center: The RCC in Bondurant is also open to the public to drop-off
household hazardous waste. In addition, the RCC operates the SWAP SHOP which offers usable items. For more information please call the RCC at 1.888.603.CREW (2739).

What can I do with compact fluorescents bulbs? The satellite facility and the RCC will accept compact fluorescent and regular fluorescent light bulbs as part of the household hazardous waste program. For more information, click here. 

How do I safely cleanup a broken flourescent bulb?  Care must be taken when cleaning up a broken flourescent bulb since these bulbs can contain mercury.  Click here for USEPA instructions on how to clean up a broken bulb.

What do I do With Latex Paint? Click here for a fact sheet on how to dispose of latex products

What do I do with empty paint cans?  Empty paint cans are not hazardous.  Leave the lids off and place the empty cans beside your garbage bags/cans for disposal.

What happens to the hazardous waste collected? The waste collected through the
above programs is either reused, recycled, or disposed of at out-of-state facilities specifically designed to handle hazardous waste.


syringe needle

What are “Sharps”? Sharps are needles, syringes, with attached needles, and disposable lancets used by medical patients to treat conditions such as diabetes, allergies, cancer, etc. Farmers also use needles or syringes to inject livestock.

Why are sharps a danger? Improperly discarded sharps can injure garbage collectors,
recycling workers and landfill employees and customers. Accidental needle sticks from
carelessly discarded sharps can transmit deadly diseases, such as Hepatitis B, HIV (the virus that may lead to AIDS), and tetanus.

Never put a sharps container in the garbage or recycling bin. Dispose of a sharps
container only through a qualified medical or hazardous waste management facility. Any other disposal option may cause an injury to a family member, collection worker, landfill personnel or customers or even a pet. Although sharps containers are of a rigid design, they cannot hold up to the compaction forces of a modern garbage truck or landfill compaction equipment.

Proper Sharps Disposal: Use a specifically designed sharps disposal container. These
containers may be purchased at most pharmacies for just a few dollars and are designed to protect yourself and anyone else who might come into contact with the container. Your doctor or veterinarian may also provide them. The advantages of using a sharps container are that they are leak-proof, rigid and puncture resistant. A variety of sizes are available which can hold from 30 to 300 used sharps.   Click here for a Sharps Disposal Guide.

How do I dispose of Sharps? You may dispose of sharps at the Boone County Landfill’s satellite household hazardous waste collection facility. The facility will accept sharps containers during the landfill’s normal operating hours. Please call
515.433.0591 for more information.

A waste handler’s greatest
fear is being stuck by a
needle in the garbage
or recycling bin.

Questions? Phone: 515.433.0591 Email:

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer