NOTICE OF CIVIL SERVICE ENTRANCE EXAMINATION FOR BOONE COUNTY DEPUTY SHERIFF
Boone County, Iowa is taking applications for Deputy Sheriff. We are looking for both uncertified and certified applicants. Boone County is located in central Iowa, offering a rural lifestyle with camping, fishing, biking, museums, and scenic train rides, while being just a short drive away from several metro areas such as Ames and Des Moines, Iowa.
To Apply: Complete an application on https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/boonecounty/
Please include a cover letter and resume in your application. For more information on requirements to become a Certified Peace Officer in the State of Iowa, please visit the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy’s website at https://ilea.iowa.gov/ .
UNCERTIFIED APPLICANTS, CERTIFIED OFFICERS OF IOWA, AND OUTSIDE OF IOWA MUST TEST
We will be conducting an entrance examination for Deputy Sheriff Position, date to be determined, at Boone County Law Enforcement Center 1019 W Mamie Eisenhower Ave, Boone, IA. Each candidate will be required to present a State Driver’s License or State I.D. Card (state of current residence) before participating in the testing process. The testing process will include a physical agility test, written test (POST) followed by an interview with Boone County Civil Service Board.
Minorities, females, and bi-lingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications must be submitted no later than 11 pm on November 30, 2022. Applicants who have taken the POST test in the past 12 months, and have a qualifying score may choose to use their previous score, or have the option to retest. If you choose to retest, the most recent score will be used in our hiring process.
If you cannot make our testing but have passed the physical agility test with another Iowa agency in the last 12 months, let us know. If we can get those results, we will accept them in the short term. You will, however, be required to, at a later date prior to a hiring offer, pass the physical agility test with Boone County.
Starting pay for non-certified applicants is $ 28.28/hr
Certified applicants starting wage is $31.61/hr.
Deputies top out at $33.27/hr per the union contract July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2023.
Reasons to consider the Boone County Sheriff’s Office!
- Outstanding retirement-the best IPERS plan there is (special class-can retire at 50 years old with 22 years on the job)
- Take-home cars for patrol/special assignments
- Safety Equipment provided
- Clothing allowance
- 10 paid Holidays
- 2 personal days
- Vacation and Sick leave accrual
- 5 on, 4 off , 10 hour shifts
- K9 program
- Drug task force
Essential FunctionsProtect and Serve the Citizens of Boone County, Iowa.
Essential Knowledge, Experience, and Ability
1. Be a U. S. Citizen and a resident of Iowa or intend to become a resident upon being employed*;
*As reference in Iowa Administrative Code 2.1(1) Is a citizen of the United States and a resident of Iowa or intends to become a resident upon being employed; provided that the state residency requirement under this subrule shall not apply to employees of a city or county that has adopted an ordinance to allow employees of the city or county to reside in another state and shall not apply to an employee of a city or county that later repeals such an ordinance if the employee resides in another state at the time of the repeal. Railway special agents who are approved by the commissioner of public safety as special agents of the department shall be exempt from the Iowa residency requirement.
2. Is 18 years of age at the time of appointment;
3. Hold a valid Iowa driver’s license*;
*As reference in Iowa Administrative Code 2.1(3), Railway special agents who are approved by the commissioner of public safety as special agents of the department and officers who are allowed to reside in an adjacent state shall be required to possess a valid driver’s or chauffeur’s license of the state of residence of the officer.
4. Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol [modified for Chapter 400 civil service positions by §400.17 of the Code of Iowa];
5. Be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation including a fingerprint search conducted of local, state and national fingerprint files and have not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude;
6. Successfully pass physical fitness tests;
7. Not be opposed to use of force to fulfill duties;
8. Be a high school graduate or hold a GED certificate;
9. Have uncorrected vision of not less than 20/100 in both eyes, corrected to 20/20, and color vision consistent with the Occupational demands of law enforcement;
10. Have normal hearing in each ear (hearing aids are acceptable if a candidate can demonstrate sufficient hearing proficiency to perform all necessary duties of a law enforcement officer)
11. Be examined by a physician and meet the physical requirements necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of a law enforcement officer.
12. Undergo psychological testing.
13. Undergo cognitive (Basic Skills) testing
$28.28 - $33.27/hour
1019 West Mamie Eisenhower Ave, Boone
Did You Know
Sign up to receive notifications when board meetings and agendas are posted, job openings are announced, and more.Customize Your Notifications