General Assistance

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

General Assistance is a County funded program that can help people with emergency financial needs.

How is eligibility for assistance determined?


You must  reside in Boone County and be a US Citizen or Legal Alien.   The first step is to complete a General Assistance application  and  provide the requested information. A copy of the application can be picked up in the office at 900 W. 3rd St or downloaded by clicking the link below.  The General Assistance worker will review your application and if you meet the eligibility criteria, you will be scheduled for an interview with the GA worker to help determine your needs. Please provide a valid clearly written phone number and email address with your completed application. A phone or face to face interview will be scheduled. No payment can be made if  it will not  remedy the emergency.  Client must be able to show how  next month’s bill will be paid.

 Click here to download an Application for General Assistance

To file a completed application:

  1. FAX the completed application to 515-432-2480
  2. Email the completed application to
  3. Mail the application to Boone County General Relief at 900 West 3rdSt., Boone, Ia. 50036
  4. Drop off the application to the local office at 900 West 3rdSt, Boone, Ia. 50036


    Call 515-433-0593 or 1-800-753-2136, if you have questions. . Office hours are 8 AM to Noon and 1PM to 4:30PM. The following information must be provided prior to a determination for assistance:

    • Proof of all income received in the past 30 days. If self-employed, provide last years income tax return.
    • Copy of current bill that you are requesting assistance for
    • Copy of all current bank statements (checking and savings)
    • Childcare costs ( written proof)
    • Current child support statement as to income or an expense
    • If applying for rental assistance, need current lease that shows landlords name, address, and phone number.
    • Letter from IMPACT 515-432-5052
    • Letter from Salvation Army 515-432-5770

What services are available?


  • Emergency food assistance
    • Referrals will be made to the food pantry, SHARE program, as well as having the clients fill out a food stamp application.
  • Shelter
    • Benefit limits are the reasonable rental value not to exceed $500.00.
    • Deposits will not be paid for rent, gas, water or electricity.
  • Utilities
    • Assistance with utility costs shall be provided only in the amount of the actual cost for current usage, which allows continuance of service and not service provided for prior months. Assistance under this category does not include deposits, taxes or penalties. The amount shall not exceed current month.
    • Heat, lights and water are the only utilities that will be considered.
    • Utilities must be in the name of the applicant or another member of the household. If the expense of utilities is eing shared with a non-applicant, the payment is prorated.
  • Medical Services
    • Assistance will be given for prescriptions, and also for some medical needs that require no prescription, such as insulin and needles.
    • Dental assistance for immediate need and to relieve severe pain.
    • Hospital Services – County GA does not fund hospital services within the County.The Boone County Hospital has their own indigent care program.
  • Burial
    • Payment for cremation expense is limited to a maximum of $1500.00 . Social Security Death Benefits shall be deducted from this amount. Any insurance, assets, resources or family contributions must be applied to cremation expense before General Assistance payment will be made.
    • The General Assistance payment must represent payment in full.

 Additional Possible Resources