Serving Those that have Served all of us
Veterans Relief Program
The Boone County Veteran's Relief Program is funded by the County to provide emergency assistance for basic needs of resident Veterans and families.
These basic needs include:
- Special Needs
To be eligible for this program you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a Veteran with an Honorable Discharge.
- Be a resident of Boone County.
- Meet income guidelines.
- Apply for any and all benefits.
- Register with Iowa Workforce. (unless disabled)
- Have emergency basic needs that cannot be met by other means.
How do I apply for VA General Relief Assistance?
The first step to apply for VA General Relief is to file a completed application and provide the requested information. A copy of
the application can be picked up in the Human Services / Veteran’s Affairs office at 900 West 3rd St, Boone, Iowa or download
by clicking the link below. The VA General Relief Worker will review your application and if you meet the eligibility criteris,
you will be scheduled for an interview. Please provide a valid clearly written phone number and email address on your
completed application. A phone or face to face interview will be scheduled. No payment can be made if it will not remedy the
emergency. The veteran must be able to show how next month’s bill will be paid.
To file a completed application:
1. FAX the completed application to 515-432-2480
2. Email the completed application to email@example.com
3. Mail the application to Boone county Veterans General Relief at 900 West 3rd ST, Boone, Ia. 50036
4. Drop off the application to the local office at 900 West 3rd ST, Boone, Iowa
Call 515-433-0593 or 1-800-753-2136, if you have any questions. Office hours are 8AM to 12 Noon and 1PM to 4:30PM Monday through Friday.
The following information must be provided prior to a determination for assistance.
- Proof of all household income received in the past 30 days. If self employed, provide last years income tax return
- Copy of current bill that you are requesting assistance for
- Copy of all current bank statements (checking and savings)
- Childcare costs (written proof)
- Current child support statement as to income or an expense
- If applying for rental assistance, need current lease that shows your name, rent amount, address, landlord’s name, landlord’s address, and landlord’s phone number
- Letter from IMPACT 515-432-5052
- Letter from Salvation Army 515-432-5770
Additional Possible Resources
- NACo Prescription drug card program
- Needymeds Prescription program - find help with cost of medication
- Iowa Workforce Development
- Iowa Department of Human Services
- DHS Online Application for State of Iowa Services (OASIS)
- Health Insurance for Children (Hawki)